Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Babymakers

So Jason and I are on a co-ed softball team. It's pretty freakin' fun, minus the fact that we royally suck. Up until last night we had lost every game by about 15 pts. Not necessarily the best record... Anyway, we had a game last night at 9:30, and everyone on the team was really hoping for a rain out or something to spare us from more embarrassment, but we weren't so lucky. The weather cleared up in just in time for us to play the game. Lucky us! We may have a terrible record, but we have a fun team and we enjoy hanging out. Everyone on our team is a bit crazy (hey, you have to be when you have a team named "The Babymakers"), so it makes it fun to play even when we lose. Eventually the game started, and strangely enough, we were playing awesome. Everyone was catching the ball, and hitting like crazy. Jason hit an amazing triple--it was such a pretty line drive. I had three good hits and made it to base everytime. I played second base and I actually didn't embarrass myself, so that was a good change of pace for me!! Our whole group was actually playing like a real team, and we won! By a lot! The other team was super fun as well--they were joking and trash talking just like we like it. I can't wait to play them again. We play every Monday. It's a great way to get out of the house and have some fun.

So this weekend my dad finally visited! He showed up on Friday and I was able to give him a tour of where I work. It's pretty cool, and I think he liked it. My dad is big into machinery and whatnot, so I think he enjoyed seeing how we make fancy plastics. :P After we left the plant, we went at ate at Settebello's in downtown SLC. That place has great authentic Italian pizza--I highly recommend it. After dinner, we went to the Clark Planetarium and watched a 3D Imax movie. The planetarium is super cool, but the 3D movie was unreal. I haven't been to a 3D movie in a long long time, and I can't believe how realistic they look! We watched the one about Sea Monsters, and the creatures looked as though you could touch them. If you ever get the opportunity, go see the 3D movies. You won't regret it!

On Saturday we went up to the Bingham County Mine (also known as the Kennecott Copper Mine). I've never been there before and it was really cool to see. It is HUGE. There are these gigantic trucks that haul around the material, but when you see them down working in the pit, they look tiny. They look just like ants. It's really hard to grasp how big the mine really is. Your brain can't quite take it in. While we were inside the visitors center watching a movie about the mine they blasted some part of the mine with dynamite. It shook the building so bad I thought it was an earthquake. It made my heart race something fierce, but I quickly realized that it was a blast from the mine. Thank goodness! I'm not ready for the big earthquake that is supposed to hit SLC...

We had to leave the mine early so that I could make it to Jason's sister's baby shower. She is due in just a few weeks! She looks amazing--I hope I'm that cute when I'm pregnant. It's so funny to watch Sharon (my mother-in-law) with Shantel; she is going to be such a happy grandma. I bet she will have a hard time not being able to see the grandkids every day. It's probably a good thing for Shantel that she lives in Logan! :)

After that, my Dad and I went for a picnic and short hike up Big Cottonwood canyon. There's still a lot of snow up there, but the base of the canyon is definitely transitioning into Spring. It was so pretty. I miss hiking, and I want to go a lot more this summer. Jason can go mountain biking, and I will go hiking!

After the hike, we all went out to dinner at the Bombay House (excellent Indian food) with Jason's parents. It was so tasty. I love Indian food. If I ever move away from this city, I'm really going to miss all the different restaurants. It's so nice to have variety!

For Mother's Day, we went over to Jason's mom's house and had a BBQ. Jason's lil brother is on a mission in Mexico City, so we were able to talk to him for a bit. After that, we just lounged around the house and hung out. It was really nice. We went for a walk with his parents around the neighborhood and checked out the houses for sale. Hopefully we will be able to buy a home soon; Jason and I are both sick of being cramped!

Time to go--hope everyone is well!

1 comment:

Zach and Nikky said...

The title of this blog freaked me out at first. I thought there was something you weren't telling me...ha! Have fun in New York! Love ya!