Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sydney - Mega Photo Post!

Wow...it has been a whirlwind since getting back from Australia!  We barely had time to get settled into the work routine before having to drive up to Idaho to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday with my family.  It was a great time, but we are definitely ready for a day or two of relaxation!  Unfortunately, both Jason and I have come down with a cold so we are down for the count.  I missed work yesterday, and he's missing work today.  Boo!  Also, I encountered some sort of bug that left me with no less than FIFTY bug bites that itch worse than mosquito bites.  I may go crazy.  It's almost like I have chicken pox even though I know that's impossible!

So...before life gets too overwhelming and I forget to post my pictures, I am going to do a few mega-photo posts from Australia!  Today's photos come from Sydney...beautiful, wonderful Sydney.  We loved this city!  Even though we spent nearly every day we were there working, we still managed to get out and see the sights.  If you ever have debated whether or not to go there, stop debating and get yourself some plane tickets.  It's worth it!  Hubster was even looking for jobs in the region because he loved it so much!  Too bad it's so dang expensive to live there.  Also, they drive on the left side of the road which was a bit difficult to adjust to being a Yank like I am.  Luckily, Hubster and I survived driving in Australia.

Without further ado, I present Sydney in photos:
Sydney 112
The opera house!
Sydney 156
The Sydney Harbour Bridge (we climbed to the top!)
Sydney 163
I had no idea the opera house had this texture...thought it was neat!
Sydney 228
I may have gotten a weird look or two...
Sydney 292
Biking around Manly
Sydney 306
Lookout Pointe at Manly
Sydney 308
Love the feeling of the sand between my toes!
Sydney 315
Joy!  (side note--it was freezing!)
Sydney 330
Manly Beach where one manly man braved the cold and wore a speedo in the ocean.
Sydney 332
He is not in this photo.
Bridge Climb
Climbing the bridge with dorky hats!
Bridge Climb2
Awesome views during the easy climb
Bridge Climb3
Our outfits are sexy!
Sydney 002
Giant Lego man!!
Sydney 037
Penguinos!
Sydney 044
I *may* have once thought I was Ariel
Sydney 106
I showed my dad this picture and told him I took it while we were snorkeling.  He believed me and freaked out.
Sydney 177
On top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon
Sydney 302
I love lizards!
Sydney 313
Grumpy  bird!
Sydney 696
So soft!
Sydney 499
Loooooved the kangaroos!
Sydney 477
Care for a cuddle?
Sydney 510
Feed me!!

Sydney 722
At the top of the Three Sisters Hike that kicked my butt (or more specifically my knee)
Sydney 743
Hundreds and hundreds of steep steep stairs...pictures don't do it justice!  IT band pain--commence!
Sydney 779
...but I kept going anyway!
Sydney 926
It was a beautiful hike!
Sydney 944
And I may or may not have ended the day with some kangaroo filet.  And I felt horribly guilty for it after spending the day playing with kangaroos.  But it was delicious.

After working and playing in Sydney for a week and a half, we departed the lovely city and headed north to Cairns.  Cairns is a port town with the closest access to the Great Barrier Reef which is what made it an ideal place to anchor for a few days.  
Cairns 028
Have some fish...
Cairns 044
Happy on the Dive Boat!
Cairns 007
Snorkeling while Hubster dives!
I snorkeled to my heart’s content on that reef that beautiful day.  And got sunburned.  The worst sunburn of my life.  OUCH OUCH OUCH.  Pictures don’t do it justice.  It blistered and then peeled twice.  Let’s just say it hurt and that it took a LOT of willpower to force myself out of our hostel to go sight-seeing the next few days.  Luckily, I am one who can’t stand the idea of spending money to travel clear across the world just to sit in my hotel room and stare at the tv.  So, out we went.  We saw the beautiful rainforest via Skyrail and then took a scenic train ride back to Cairns.  The Barron Gorge was phenomenal!  Such a beautiful area.
Cairns 045
It was worse in real life.  Puffy and swollen and ouch.
Cairns 086
On the Skyrail to Kuranda
Cairns 207
The beautiful Kuranda train
Cairns 274
Cheese!
Cairns 126
Barron Falls in the background (but you can't see it!)
Cairns 364
This is me pretending I'm getting sun on the beach.  I've got massive loads of sunscreen on and after this picture was taken I promptly hid in the shade.
That night we took a midnight Greyhound bus (always an adventure) to Airlie Beach.  We were told by nearly every Australian we encountered that we couldn’t miss the Whitsunday Islands.  They were an absolute “must” so we rearranged our travel plans to fit in a visit there.  I am SO glad we listened to the locals—I’ve never seen such beauty!  We spent 3 days and 2 nights aboard a sailing vessel (we slept in a pontoon!) where we traveled from island to island and spent our days snorkeling, hiking, tanning (not me!), and relaxing.  It was a perfect way to finish our vacation.
Whitsunday Vessel 025
AWESOME way to spend a few days!
The highlight of the entire trip was White Haven Beach.  I’ve never seen a more beautiful beach in my life.  The water was crystal clear; you could see baby sharks and sting rays swimming around within just a few feet of you.  The sand was a bright white—I was told it is the whitest beach in the world.  It is made of 98% silica and feels so weird on your feet!  It squeaks!  I could’ve spent my entire vacation (or life) on this beach and been a happy camper.  If you ever get the opportunity to go to Australia, don’t miss this island!


Whitsunday Vessel 395
Gorgeous beach!!
Whitsunday Vessel 447
No photo shopping---those are true colors.
Eventually, real life called and we had to fly home.  After a few travel snafus (Delta LOVES cancelling my flights), we finally were on a plane home to return to the real world.  And what was waiting for me?  A big ol’ race known as the Ragnar Relay Wasatch Back.  Oh yes…after taking 5 weeks off from running to let my knee heal, I was about to put it to the test via a 30+ hour race.  How did it go?  Well, I will let you know tomorrow!

1 comment:

Emily W said...

I am so incredibly jealous. One day when Jake is working and we are actually making money again, we will take trips to try and make you guys jealous. Looks like you guys are living it up.